30 July 2007

little worlds


I love this! It's a card D's friend from Japan sent to him for the holidays. It is a 3-d layered world with little santa's running around. I've stolen it so that I can examine it. I would like to make little scenes like this and photograph them.

It is so hot today- I'm schvitzing and I'm just sitting still.

Things I'm thinking about:
1. illustrations of polar bears, igloos and eskimos
2. cardboard diaroma pictures
3. purchasing a boombox and cordless tea pot for studio to make it more cozy.
4. this quote from Letters to a Young Artist by Anna Deveare Smith:
"Forget about competition. Rather, commit yourself to find out the true nature of your art. How does it really work; what is the essence of it?
Go for that thing no one can teach you. Go for that communion, that real communion with your soul, and the discipline of expressing that communion to others. That doesn't come from competition. That comes from being one with what you are doing. It comes from concentration, and from your own ability to be fascinated with the story, the song, the jump, the color your are working with."