11 August 2006

the bulk aisle







I have never been one to be a prolific art-maker. I always wished I was but that's just not my pace. If I allow myself to, I get very self conscious and start wondering why I'm doing this, and what's the point, and I think it's not good enough, yadda yadda yadda. I end up sounding like Nicolas Cage's character in the beginning of Adaptation when he's psyching himself up to start writing while thinking of every excuse in the book as to why he can't.
Anyway, something really quite lovely happened this week, I have made a lot of work-- without acting as the judge, jury, critic, pie-thrower in the face, shusher, or whatever else you want to label the inner critic that often stops me cold. I just relaxed and made some stuff for the sake of making it, and it was pure pleasure! I thought WOW, if I could spend every day doing this and maybe even get paid for it, I would be the happiest camper ever!!!
I have been making lots of these wave pattern drawings, which then turned into color block drawings and then I decided to experiment. While working on these, I thought about how I could prepare a bunch, color the pages and then block them out in black-- I could do multiples and then etch the lines into them at a later time. This raised all sorts of other questions about the immediacy of seeing what I was doing, which has always been something I enjoy.
I thought about artists who make art in bulk-- they prep 10 canvases at a time, and work them all up simultaneously.....I've never worked that way, at least not that I can think of. I always get wrapped up in one project or piece and it want to nit pick and perfect it, but maybe this is something to try. Hmm, an epiphany??!
Back to the work table!

xx L