08 August 2006


Last week I was in the hospital from Tuesday to Sunday after having a big asthma attack. I had to be intubated for the second time in my life and it was a traumatic experience to say the least. I don't want to go into too much detail about what physically happened- but I will say that at one point I came too- and I was on a ventilator and trying to breathe on my own at the same time. Someone blurry lifted a cotton pad off of my eye and waved a flashlight across. I saw for a glimpse that I had thin velcro restraints around my wrists and my whole body was twitching. At the same time-- there was another part of my brain that was experiencing this strange undulating landscape of colors in waves-- which I'm going to make some drawings of out of cray-pas. Needless to say it was weird and scary. It's taken a few days to feel better both emotionally and physically but if there's one thing I've learned-- Im strong! and I keep moving forward.

The biggest part of why I wanted to start a blog is because next month I will be doing an artist residency at the Vermont Studio Center in Johnson, VT and I thought this would be a great project to work on while I'm there and a way for me to let friends and family know what I'm working on. I am so excited about this adventure!!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the part about the bird beak-- as a result of the breathing tube-- my upper lip was sore and swollen for a few days and it still feels as though I have a pointy bird beak!

Be well Everyone!